Friday, November 26, 2010

scrappy christmas sign tutorial...

hope you all had a fantastic thanksgiving!  i'm soooo full. :) but now it's time for serious christmas decorating!

i had several strips of leftover scrapbook paper from my gift tag christmas ornaments, so i thought i would make good use of them in another christmas decor project...
i bought this picture frame for a few dollars at walmart.
start by tracing the photo mat to cut out a piece of paper that fits inside the frame--no measuring. :)
cut strips of varying widths and arrange them in scrappy stripes on your backing paper.  like i said, this is a great way to use up scraps.  i just glued mine down with a plain ol' glue stick.  allow the edges to hang off, then trim them all to length after they are glued on--no measuring. :)
next, i cut out letters for my saying--"{Be Merry!}"--on my cricut.  you can use any die cut machine or pre-cut chipboard letters or stickers from a craft or scrapbooking store.
once i glued the letters on, it looked great up close but was difficult to read from far away because of the patterns in the paper...so i traced around each letter with a black sharpie.  you could definitely omit this step if you feel it's unnecessary.
then i put my little sign into the frame and hung it on the wall for some quick and easy holiday decor!
********
don't forget to check out the fantastic sale this weekend in my etsy shop!

8 comments:

  1. Love your sign! Wish I had a cricut...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute--I've bookmarked for my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this idea! super easy and looks great. I used a custom spray paint to repaint an old frame i had. I used the color poppy 1315 and juniper 601 from ben moore. looks great! thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea! Found you at the linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way of using scrap papers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome, and I think I'll make a "picture" for inside the frame for each holiday so I can rotate it all year round! So cool!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...